While we are all preparing to enjoy the holidays with family and friends, two families in our community have suffered fires in their homes.
Over the weekend, a fire forced a mom and her 12-year-old son from their home on , losing all the contents of their home, including their Christmas presents and the family's blue and black Beta fish, named Dog.
Another family also suffered a fire on , which forced the family and pets out of their home.
While experiencing a fire is a tragedy at any time, it's particularly devastating to endure so close to the holiday.
RTM Rep. Eric Sundman and RTM members from District 1 contacted First Selectman Mike Tetreau, Fire Chief Dick Felner, and Police Chief Gary MacNamara and me to see how we could work together to help.
The Pratt Street family -- mother and son -- would appreciate any donations after losing everything in their home. Gift cards, clothing, and presents to replace those that were lost, or a monetary donation would be so helpful.
Donations made on behalf of the Warner Hill Road family will be given to the Burn Unit at Bridgeport Hospital at the family's request.
The Fairfield Fire Department has graciously offered to accept the donations for both families at the located at 140 Reef Road starting Tuesday through Friday, Dec. 23 until 5:00pm.
Both families are so incredibly grateful to have survived and are thankful for the Fairfield fire and police departments.
As a community, we too are grateful no lives were lost.
I hope you'll join me, our fire and police departments, the First Selectman and RTM representatives from District 1 in helping out members of our community.
I wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday and New Year!
Rep. Brenda L. Kupchick