Today is Friday, Dec. 21, 2012. On this day in 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Scotland.
Famous birthdays include Frank Zappa – 1940; Samuel L. Jackson – 1948; Ray Romano – 1957; Kiefer Sutherland – 1966.
- Jessica Lane Home Seels for $1.8 Million in Southport
- Newtown United: Grassroots Group Seeks to Curb Gun Violence
- Newtown News Center
- Police Blotter
- Holiday Guide 2012
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Holiday Book Sale: Friday, Dec. 21, 9 a.m., Fairfield Public Library. "The Friends of the Fairfield Public Library will have their annual Holiday Book Sale on Saturday, December 1 through Friday, December 21 at the Main Library, 1080 Old Post Road. The sale will be held during regular Library hours. There will be a large selection of children’s and young adult books, as well as holiday books and adult fiction. There will also be some “special” books, such as collector and antiquarian books, available. All proceeds from the book sale, which is run by the Friends of the Fairfield Library, will benefit the Library."
- Holiday Caroling Party and Open House: Friday, Dec. 21, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m., Pequot Library, free. " A holiday tradition continues! Join us for some old-fashioned family fun, featuring a performance by The Pinstripes FOR KIDS: crafts, ornament making, cooking decorating, and cider. FOR ADULTS: hot toddies. FOR EVERYONE: caroling sing-along, bonfire, horse drawn carriage rides through the Village of Southport. Horse Drawn Carriage Rides: 4:00 – 5:30 pm: Tickets will be required for carriage rides. 5:30 – 6:30 pm: Open seating for carriage rides. Tickets will be available at the Front Desk beginning at 4:00 pm. Please read our Carriage Ride FAQ for more information."
- Christmas Carol Service and Yule Tea: Sunday, Dec. 23, 4 p.m., free. One of the hallmarks of Christmas is the singing of boy and girl choristers, their voices ringing out the beloved carols and hymns of the season. On Sunday, December 23 at 5:00 PM, Fairfield’s renowned St. Paul’s Choir will sing a service of carols, hymns, and scripture readings. Known by its English name, this ‘Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols’ is a worship service famous the world over because of its yearly broadcast from the Chapel of King’s College, Cambridge, on Christmas Eve. This year, the service can be experienced right here in Fairfield, at Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church, on the Town Hall Green. Everyone is warmly welcome. The church’s St. Paul’s Choir is an outstanding 45-voice ensemble of children and adults modeled after the great cathedral choirs of England. The choir has been directed by John Abdenour since 2000, and has toured England four times. The carol service will be preceded at 4:00 PM by a Yule Café in the church’s gathering area, an offering of mulled wine and cider, seasonal treats and refreshments. Following the service, people are invited to walk the church’s beautiful, candle-lit labyrinth in the Parish Hall.
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Anna Karenina – 1:15 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 7:25 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 10 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Argo – 3:50 p.m., 9:15 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away 3D – 12 p.m., 7 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Flight – 4:10 p.m., 10:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 19 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hitchcock – 11:45 a.m., 2:20 p.m., 5 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 10:25 p.m. (1 hr., 38 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 3D – 11 a.m., 2:45 p.m., 6:20 p.m., 9:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 46 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – 11:30 a.m., 3:15 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:50 p.m. (2 hrs., 46 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi 3D – 12:10 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lincoln – 11:50 a.m., 12:50 p.m., 3:20 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:40 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- This is 40 – 12:20 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 13 min.) – 12:20 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 10:10 p.m. – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: "Rain and possibly a thunderstorm, mainly before noon, then a chance of showers after noon. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Patchy fog before noon. High near 51. Windy, with a east wind 18 to 28 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible."
- Friday night: "A chance of rain showers before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow showers between midnight and 3 a.m., then a chance of snow showers after 3 a.m. Cloudy, with a low around 32. West wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Saturday: "A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Windy, with a west wind 17 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent."
- Saturday night: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 30. Breezy."
- Sunday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 41. Breezy."
- Sunday night: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 26."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 5:33 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:15 a.m.
- Low tide: 12:03 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:27 p.m.
- High tide: 6:04 p.m.
- Low tide: 12:14 a.m.
- High tide: 6:28 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:15 a.m.
- Low tide: 1:01 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:28 p.m.
- High tide: 7:01 p.m.
- Low tide: 1:07 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:16 a.m.
- High tide: 7:21 a.m.
- Low tide: 1:54 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:28 p.m.
- High tide: 7:55 p.m.