Today is Friday, June 1, 2012. On this day in 1980, CNN, the world’s first 24-hour television news network, launched.
Famous birthdays include Marilyn Monroe – 1926; Pat Boone – 1934; Morgan Freeman – 1937; Heidi Klum – 1973.
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the .
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- : 9 a.m., . “Get ready for the beach! The Friends of the Fairfield Public Library are having a “Beach Read” Sale. The sale will run from June 1-June 16 during regular Library hours. All fiction books will be sold “3 for the price of 2” (higher prices prevail). There will be a large selection of paperback and hardcover books just waiting for you to enjoy at the beach.”
- : 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., , free. Join us for returning artist Brian Dolzani/ singer/songwriter playing acoustic guitar. Come and listen to amazing local musical talent while enjoying our Starbucks Cafe or browsing through hundreds of books and gifts. Everyone welcome!”
- : 7 p.m., , $42. “Dar Williams has become a major force on the New England folk scene. An idiosyncratic songwriter who writes folk songs from a unique, often insightful perspective, Williams takes pains to avoid the coy and the quirky; her songwriting and performing style has been compared to that of Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez, but with a few acidic and at times hilarious twists.”
- : 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., , free. “An all day event filled with fun activities and products for the whole family. There will be inflatable rides and games for the kids. A silent auction and vendors (including the Fairfield Library, the Boy Scouts, Thirty-One Gifts, The Cookie Workshop, Donate Life, and various jewelers and crafters) for the adults. And entertainment for all ages including local magician and balloon artist, Bryan Lizotte; children’s author, Ryan SanAngelo, who is best known for his book “Eddie Spaghetti”; and appearances from Po, from the hit movie Kung Fu Panda.”
- : 9 a.m., Finding Feathers, free. “Dimensions of Wealth is part of the Path of Ease and Grace seminar series created by Australia’s Shanti Mission Harmony Centers. In Dimensions of Wealth we teach the art of Natural Manifesting. This is a method which aligns us with Universal design, which is Benevolence and Abundance.”
- : 10 a.m., , free. “Connecticut's utility companies, along with the state's Clean Cities Coalitions, are helping customers and communities learn about the potential benefits of plug-in electric vehicles (Evs) as a cleaner, lower-cost transportation alternative. Informational events will take place Friday June 1 and Saturday June 2 at various locations across the state.”
- : 11 a.m., , free. “Attend this hands-on workshop and learn about Coupons.com and a host of other online sites such as Groupon, LivingSocial, Retail-Me-Not, Amazon’s Subscribe-and-Save and Fairfield Coupon. Discover a new (and maybe fun!) way to save.”
- : 12 p.m. – 9 p.m., . “Join us for our Open House during the Greenfield Farmer's Market, Saturday June 2nd for a tour of our selections with new owner Patrick Misciagna. Lots of specials, items on sale, and sign up for our exclusive wine events and upcoming educational wine courses!”
- : 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., , $3/Members free. “Enjoy docent-led tours of the 1750 Ogden House and see how people lived in the 18th century. The house is furnished with period objects including textiles and fine pieces of furniture with Fairfield provenance. Take a stroll through the kitchen garden, generously maintained by the Fairfield Garden Club, and view plantings used in colonial times.”
- : 4 p.m., , free. “On Sunday, June 3rd at 4:00 p.m., the church’s parish hall will reverberate with the dulcet tones of soprano Virginia Barney. She will be singing arias by composers Bizet, Mozart and Wolf.”
- : 7 p.m., , $25. “Together these five musicians create music that is firmly rooted in the modern New Orleans sound with compelling originals and tasteful covers. The rhythm section of Scanlan and Green are as comfortable together as red beans and rice. Gruver tickles the ivories or soars into the stratosphere on the organ.”
AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Bernie – 12:40 p.m., 3 p.m., 5:20 p.m., 7:40 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (1 hr., 35 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – 12:50 p.m., 1:20 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 9:50 p.m., 10:20 p.m. (1 hr., 58 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Crooked Arrows – 9:15 p.m. (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Dark Shadows – 1 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m. (1 hr. 38 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- The Dictator – 12:35 p.m., 2:40 p.m., 4:45 p.m., 7:20 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- For Greater Glory – 12:30 p.m., 3:25 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (2 hrs., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Marvel’s the Avengers – 12:15 p.m., 6:50 p.m., (2 hrs. 22 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Marvel’s The Avengers 3D – 3:30 p.m., 10 p.m. (2 hrs., 22 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Men in Black 3 – 1:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (1 hr., 46 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Men in Black 3 in 3D – 1:15 p.m., 4 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 9:45 p.m. (1 hr., 46 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 5 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: “Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. East wind between 9 and 14 mph.”
- Friday night: “Showers, mainly after 3 a.m. Low around 61. East wind around 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.”
- Saturday: “Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 11 a.m., then a chance of showers. High near 77. East wind 11 to 17 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.”
- Saturday night: “Partly cloudy, with a low around 56. West wind between 6 and 8 mph.”
- Sunday: “A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.”
- Sunday night: “Partly cloudy, with a low around 58.”
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s “Traffic & Gas Prices” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 2:56 a.m.
- Sunrise: 5:22 a.m.
- High tide: 8:58 a.m.
- Low tide: 3:07 p.m.
- Sunset: 8:19 p.m.
- High tide: 9:19 p.m.
- Low tide: 3:53 a.m.
- Sunrise: 5:22 a.m.
- High tide: 9:56 a.m.
- Low tide: 4:03 p.m.
- Sunset: 8:20 p.m.
- High tide: 10:15 p.m.
- Low tide: 4:49 a.m.
- Sunrise: 5:21 a.m.
- High tide: 10:51 p.m.
- Low tide: 4:58 p.m.
- Sunset: 8:21 p.m.
- High tide: 11:09 p.m.