Today is Friday, Nov. 16, 2012. On this day in 1907, Oklahoma enters the Union, becoming the 46th addition to the United States of America.
Famous birthdays include Lisa Bonet – 1967; Martha Plimpton – 1970; Maggie Gyllenhaal – 1977; Amare Stoudemire – 1982.
- Joan Drive Homes Sells for $975K in Fairfield
- How to Help in Fairfield After Superstorm Sandy [Updated]
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Free Seminar Storm-Related Issues: 4:30 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "This FREE seminar is a joint partnership with Fairfield Chamber of Commerce members, LCP General Contractors and Boccarossa Insurance Company. The topics to be covered are: hiring and interviewing contractors, the permits and inspections that are required, restoration practices and how to stop mold growth, wind and flood insurance and FEMA--how to register and what exactly do they do."
- Fun Day Friday for Teens: 3 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. " It’s Friday -- start the weekend off right -- drop in after school and watch movies, play games, work on crafts, get homework help and more."
- Tim Reynolds: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $35. "Tim Reynolds has been playing music all of his life. Starting as a bass player in a gospel band in his hometown of St. Louis to his break through band in the 80's TR3."
- : 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Webster Bank Arena (600 Main Street), $5. " Children of all ages are invited to attend the expo and build support for children and families affected by cancer. All proceeds from this annual fundraiser will benefit CancerCare, a national nonprofit organization that provides: Free professional counseling, educational programs, financial assistance, and practical help to children and families affected by cancer in Connecticut."
- Author Meet & Greet: 12 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Meet & Greet local author Sara Hacala/SAVING CILVILTIY on Saturday, November 17, 2012 from 12noon-2:00pm at the downtown Fairfield University Bookstore, 1499 Post Road, Fairfield, CT 06824 (203) 255-7756, 1st floor."
- Decorate the Bookstore Christmas Tree - Origami Paper Crane Workshop: 3 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Help us decorate the downtown Fairfield University Bookstore Christmas tree this year-- while learning how to make Origami paper cranes. Appropriate for ages 10 and up. Adults are welcome. Make some for us and take some home for you. Learn the traditional Japanese art of paper folding. Event is free. Please call the Bookstore to reserve your spot (203) 255-7756."
- ·A Night of Music: 6 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $50/$75/$100 (students half price). For more on the event, check out the feature story.
- Cactus: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $37. "'CACTUS - The American Led Zeppelin'.” Those are tall words, but that is in fact what people were saying about Cactus when this first "Super Group" hit the scene in 1970."
- John Tartaglia's ImaginOcean: 1 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $18. "Tony Award-nominee John Tartaglia (star of the critically-acclaimed Avenue Q) brings you his one-of-a-kind live black-light puppet show... a magical undersea adventure for kids of all ages. Tank, Bubbles, and Dorsel are three best friends who just happen to be fish, and they're about to set out on a remarkable journey of discovery."
- Musical Treasures Concert: 3 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "The Fairfield Public Library offers Musical Treasures, an afternoon of music with violinist Katie Lansdale and pianist Wei-Yi Yang as they reveal a shimmering array of musical jewels."
- Songs of Celebration and Thanksgiving: 3 p.m., First Church Congregational, $20. "Concert selections will span the centuries from early American composer William Billings to contemporary Paul Halley. Featured will be Aaron Copland's "The Promise of Living" and Randall Thompson's musical setting of Robert Frost poetry, "Frostiana." The concert is open to the community."
- Robert Randolph: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $75. "Having taken the long route from little-known gospel artist to the Jimi Hendrix of sacred steel, Robert Randolph is the rare musician who has managed to carve out a unique place in the American music continuum with little more than hard work and musicianship." [Pictured]
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Argo – 1:10 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:15 p.m. 10 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Flight – 12:50 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 19 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lincoln – 11:45 a.m., 3:10 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – 11:20 a.m., 7:05 p.m. (1 hr. 42 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 1:45 p.m., 4:25 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Sessions – 12:30 p.m., 2:50 p.m., 5:10 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:20 p.m. – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Skyfall – 12:15 p.m., 3:25 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (2 hrs., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2: 11:15 a.m., 1 p.m., 1:55 p.m., 3:50 p.m., 4:35 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (1 hr., 56 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Wreck-It Ralph – 12 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 5 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 48 min.) – IMDb, – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Wreck-It Ralph in 3D – 10:05 p.m. (1 hr., 48 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. North wind 5 to 8 mph."
- Friday night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 38. North wind around 7 mph."
- Saturday: "Sunny, with a high near 52. Northeast wind 7 to 10 mph."
- Saturday night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 38."
- Sunday: "Partly sunny, with a high near 51."
- Sunday night: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 12:18 a.m.
- Low tide: 6:26 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:43 a.m.
- High tide: 12:36 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:33 p.m.
- Low tide: 7:07 p.m.
- High tide: 1:12 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:44 a.m.
- Low tide: 7:23 a.m.
- High tide: 1:32 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:32 p.m.
- Low tide: 8:03 p.m.
- High tide: 2:09 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:45 a.m.
- Low tide: 8:22 a.m.
- High tide: 2:31 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:31 p.m.
- Low tide: 9 p.m.