Today is Friday, Oct. 12, 2012. On this day in 1492, Columbus reached the New World.
Famous birthdays include Dick Gregory – 1932; Hugh Jackman – 1968; Kirk Cameron – 1970; Josh Hutcherson – 1992.
- Who Won the Vice Presidential Debate?
- Burr Street Home Sells for $1.4 Million
- Letter: Please Vote for Steve Obsitnik
- Fairfield Patch Election Guide 2012
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- 15th Annual Art Show Preview Party and Gala: 6:30 p.m., Pequot Library, free. "Meet, mingle, see and be seen at the premiere art event of the season! Cocktails and fine food, dancing, auction items, and more!"
- New Duke: 7 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $30. "Jazz musician and Fairfield University professor Brian Torff fronts a band of Fairfield University jazz faculty in a unique treatment of Duke Ellington's music played in a whole new light."
- Early Elton: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $25. "Early Elton is a Tribute to the Elton John, Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson trio tours of 1970 - 1972 featuring Jeff Kazee (Southside Johnny, Bon Jovi) - piano, vocals, Rich Pagano (The Fab Faux, sugarCane cups) - drums and vocals and John Conte (Southside Johnny, Ian Hunter Band) - bass, mandolin, vocals."
- 15th Annual Art Show Weekend: 9 a.m., Pequot Library, free. "The creative fun continues at Pequot Library all weekend. Come see the art show, bring the kids for a Pop Art collage workshop (see details and registration information on website), support the arts and literature, all at the same time."
- Pumpkin Festival: 10 a.m.- 3 p.m., Greenfield Farm, free. Sponsored by the Greenfield Hill Village Improvement Society -- pumpkin decorating, scarecrow making, refreshments, hayrides.
- Great Beginnings Montessori School Harvest Festival: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., Town Hall Park, free. "Great Beginnings Harvest Festival is reminiscent of a down home fair. Music throughout the day, classic games, crafts, baked goods, vendors, and even a photographer to take your family fall photo!"
- Family Day - Building Blocks of Art I - Line: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m., The Bellarmine Museum of Art, free. "Drop-in activities, child-friendly gallery taks, story times -- call or email to reserve a spot."
- Harvest Health Open House: 2 p.m. - 5 p.m., Integrated Health Center of Fairfield, free. "Dr. Pramila Visnath, L.C.E.H., P.A., N.D., Naturopathic Physician and Director of the Integrated Health Center, will introduce guests to her newest practitioners."
- Author Allia Zobel Nolan Hosts Book Signing: 3 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Bestselling author and Connecticut resident Allia Zobel Nolan will host an event at Fairfield U. Bookstore on Sat. Oct 13, where she will be signing, reading ‘n talking about her new book for tweens, 'WHATEVER: LIVIN’ THE TRUE, NOBLE, TOTALLY EXCELLENT LIFE'."
- Fishhead Stew: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $42. "Inspired by the powers of StageOne and you, the FTC audience, FishHead Stew was a super group that formed for a special one-time only performance. Well, folks had such a great night we're doing it again!"
- Inti-Illimani: 8 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $40. "Inti-Illimani is celebrating its 45th anniversary of intoxicating audiences around the world. 7:15 p.m. - Pre-performance discussion with Dr. Michelle Farrell, Fairfield University associate professor of modern languages and literature."
- Fall Scarecrow Festival: 12 p.m. - 3 p.m., Assumption Catholic School, free. "Make your own Scarecrows*Delicious fall desserts*Moon Bounce*Face Painting*Book Sale*Halloween Movie and Popcorn*Fall Photo opportunities"
- Open House: 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., 231 Burr Street. Five bedrooms, six bathroom colonial estate.
- Alan Doyle of Great Big Sea: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $25. "Alan Doyle learned piano and drums as a child, soon moving on to guitar (and eventually mandolin, bouzouki, and pretty much anything with strings)."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Argo – 1:10 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m., 9:50 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 1 p.m., 3:15 p.m. 5:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 12:30 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 1:35 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 12:40 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 9:40 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Oranges – 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – 1:50 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 9:35 p.m. (1 hr. 42 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 1:20 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:25 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Seven Psychopaths – 1:30 p.m., 4:50 p.m., 7:35 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (1 hr. 49 min.) –IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 1:40 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
Freeze Watch: After midnight Friday into Saturday morning -- sub-freezing temperatures: mostly upper 20s to lower 30s.
- Friday: "Partly sunny, with a high near 58. North wind 8 to 17 mph."
- Friday night: "Widespread frost after 3 a.m. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 34. North wind 7 to 11 mph."
- Saturday: "Widespread frost before 9 a.m. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 55. North wind around 8 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon."
- Saturday night: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Southwest wind around 10 mph."
- Sunday: "A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 68. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent."
- Sunday night: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 2:58 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:02 a.m.
- High tide: 9:08 a.m.
- Low tide: 3:25 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:16 p.m.
- High tide: 9:31 p.m.
- Low tide: 3:45 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:03 a.m.
- High tide: 9:54 a.m.
- Low tide: 4:14 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:14 p.m.
- High tide: 10:19 p.m.
- Low tide: 4:31 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:04 a.m.
- High tide: 10:39 am.
- Low tide: 5:02 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:13 p.m.
- High tide: 11:07 p.m.