Today is Friday, Oct. 19, 2012. On this day in 1781, British General Lord Conrwallis surrendered 8,000 British troops to a Franco-American force, bringing an end to the American Revolution.
Famous birthdays include John Lithgow – 1945; Ty Pennington – 1964; Jon Favreau – 1966; Chris Kattan – 1970.
- Enter to Win Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest
- Fairfield Patch Election Guide 2012
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Ben Sollee: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $22. "For a stalwart young artist who creates different means to an end, Ben Sollee has enjoyed remarkable success to accompany his warm, exciting music to match."
- : 7:30 p.m., Pequot Library, $30. "The Sebastian Players are now familiar to the Friends of Music. Their concert in April explored the origins of the Classical symphony and featured a concerto for clarinet. This season Sebastian brings a new exploration of the Classical symphony, this time with Mozart’s clarinet concerto and one of his finest symphonies."
- The Alternate Routes: 8 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $25. "As part of the 2012 Alumni & Family Weekend festivities, the Quick Center is proud to present The Alternate Routes, a band created in Bridgeport, CT by Fairfield University alums Tim Warren and Eric Donnelly."
- Ghost Hunting Adventure Stories: 11 a.m., Fairfield Woods Branch Library, free. Members of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Society will share stories.
- Former Fairfield Resident Pens Third Baby Boomer Whodunit: 11 a.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. " It's no mystery why the Baby Boomer mystery series, written by Connecticut author Susan Santangelo, is so popular. The humorous mysteries, set in the fictitious Connecticut town of Fairport, capture common issues facing the 78.2 million Baby Boomers, and feature a typical married couple, Carol and Jim Andrews, as they navigate their way along life's rocky path toward their twilight years."
- : 2 p.m., Pequot Library, free. "Music for Youth presents the 2011 YCA International Auditions winner, pianist Andrew Tyson, in a FREE one hour Young Persons Concert (ages 5 to 18) followed by a piano master class for advanced students."
- Al Stewart: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $42. "Al Stewart has been an amazingly prolific and successful musician across 40 years and counting, working in a dizzying array of stylistic modes and musical genres -- in other words, he's had a real career, and has done it without concerning himself too much about trends and the public taste."
- Walk Lake Mohegan: 2 p.m., Lake Mohegan, free. "The Fairfield League of Women Voters in conjunction with the CT Audubon Society, Fairfield Forestry Committee, and the Fairfield Conservation Dept. & Commission has organized an outdoor spectacular celebrating one of Fairfield’s magnificent open spaces: Lake Mohegan."
- Daughter of Yankees Legend Lefty Gomez Speaks at the Library: 2 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Vernona Gomez is quite a remarkable figure in her own right. She was a child piano prodigy who made her debut at the Carnegie Recital Hall at the age of 8 and still continues to work as a teacher of music in her Connecticut studio."
- The Soul Rebels: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $25. "Imagine blending the sounds of Mardi Gras funk, soft rock, and reggae so seemingly it defies category. Now shrink that idea into a seven-piece ensemble, add a hip-hop sensibility plus a hundred years of New Orleans jazz tradition, and you get the Louisiana sound known as the Soul Rebels."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Alex Cross – 12:30 p.m., 2:55 p.m., 5:20 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Argo – 1:10 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m. 9:50 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 1:05 p.m., 3:20 p.m., 5:35 p.m., 7:50 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 12:35 p.m., 2:50 p.m., 5:05 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 7:20 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 12:40 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 9:40 p.m., (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – 1:50 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 9:35 p.m. (1 hr. 42 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 12:50 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:25 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Seven Psychopaths – 1:30 p.m., 4:50 p.m., 7:35 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (1 hr. 49 min.) –IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 1:40 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:25 p.m., 10 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: "Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 70. South wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible."
- Friday night: "Showers likely, mainly before 7 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible."
- Saturday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. West wind 7 to 13 mph."
- Saturday night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 48. West wind 8 to 13 mph."
- Sunday: "Sunny, with a high near 62."
- Sunday night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 48."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 2:28 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:10 a.m.
- Low tide: 8:38 a.m.
- High tide: 2:49 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:05 p.m.
- Low tide: 9:21 p.m.
- High tide: 3:26 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:11 a.m.
- Low tide: 9:38 a.m.
- High tide: 3:48 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:04 p.m.
- Low tide: 10:22 p.m.
- High tide: 4:27 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:12 a.m.
- Low tide: 10:42 a.m.
- High tide: 4:52 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:02 p.m.
- Low tide: 11:25 p.m.