Today is Friday, Sept. 21, 2012. On this day in 1780, American General Benedict Arnold committed treason when he tried to swap West Point with the British for money and a high position in the British Army.
Famous birthdays include H.G. Wells – 1866; Stephen King – 1947; Bill Murray – 1950; Faith Hill – 1967.
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Fromage Fridays: 5 p.m., Fairfield Cheese Company, $10. "Every Friday this Fall Fairfield Cheese Company invites you and your friends to join us for a gourmet cheese tasting for $10.00 per person. We supply the cheese and the glasses you bring your favorite wine or beer. Perfect for before a movie or dinner!"
- Artist's Cocktail - Niamh Butler - Paintings & Drawings: 6:30 p.m., Pious Bird of Good Omen, free. "Join us to welcome Ms Butler and preview her exquisite, photorealistic drawing and paintings. The artist will be here to discuss her work and refreshments will be provided."
- Young Dubliners: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $22. "Celtic rockers the Young Dubliners bring their raucous, whiskey-soaked live show to StageOne this weekend."
- Cafe Music: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Cafe Music with Andrew Lane, acoustic guitarist playing folk rock/blues. Starts 7:00pm-9:00pm. Every one welcome! Bookstore is open 'til 10:00pm for your shopping pleasure."
- Southport Racquet Club Open House: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., Southport Racquet Club, free. "Stop by our Open House and receive a guest pass for one free week!"
- Card-Making Workshop: 10 a.m., Fairfield Woods Branch Library, free. "This will be an enjoyable, creative way to spend a Saturday morning. Nicki Shopis, Stampin’ Up Demonstrator, Fairfield resident and retired teacher has combined her long career of teaching with the creative craft of card-making. She teaches others the love of creating their own cards and scrapbook pages."
- Author Meet & Greet with Wedding Expert Maggie Lord: 12 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. " Wedding Expert Maggie Lord, author of Rustic Wedding Chic, will be holding a book signing and author meet and greet at the Fairfield University Bookstore. As the founder of RusticWeddingChic.com, Maggie has helped thousands of brides and grooms plan their rustic and outdoor weddings, and now has put her expertise to work in a beautiful book that features some of the best weddings, tips, expert advice and inspiration she's seen. Join Maggie to ask questions, pick up a book, or chat about the latest wedding trends."
- Joe Louis Walker: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $25. "Boundary-pushing blues rocker Joe Louis Walker is a modern and legendary blues icon. He can play guitar and that's the truth."
- Carolina Chocolate Drops: 8 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $40. "The Carolina Chocolate Drops are revitalizing the old-time string and jug-band music of North Carolina's Piedmont region with velocity and virtuosity."
- Bike and Hike the Beach: 7 a.m., Jennings Beach, $35. "All funds raised support various local organizations, such as the Kennedy Center and Probus House, a residential group home. Riders choose from 10, 20, 45, or 62-mile routes that pass through historic New England towns, all along the scenic CT coastline. Walkers participate in a 5K Fitness walk on a level route near the beach in Fairfield. The event attracts riders and walkers of all ages. Families can enjoy a leisurely day together, while more serious riders can choose a more challenging route."
- An Afternoon with the Beatles: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Meet & Greet Fairfield author BRUCE POLLOCK at the downtown Fairfield University Bookstore, 1499 Post Road, Fairfield, CT 06824 (203) 255-7756 and purchase your signed copy of his latest book IF YOU LIKE THE BEATLES on Sunday, September 23, 2012 from 1:00pm-4:00pm."
- When the Levee Breaks - a Requiem in Four Acts Directed by Spike Lee: 3 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, free. "Spike Lee's intimate, heart-rending portrait of New Orleans in the wake of the destruction tells the heartbreaking personal stories of those who endured this harrowing ordeal and survived to tell the tale of misery, despair and triumph."
- Meet "The Lifeboat" Author Charlotte Rogan: 4 p.m., Pequot Library, free. "Charlotte Rogan studied architecture at Princeton University, graduating in 1975. She lives in Westport, Connecticut. The Lifeboat is her first novel."
- Project/Object: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $25. "Far more than a simple cover band, Project/Object is a focused interpreter of the catalog of the late Frank Zappa (1940-1993), the iconoclastic rock star and composer."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Finding Nemo 3D – 1 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 9 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hope Springs – 1:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 1 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 1:35 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lawless – 4:20 p.m., 9:35 p.m. (1 hr., 55 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 12:40 p.m., 1:10 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 9:40 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green – 1:50 p.m., 7 p.m. (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- ParaNorman – 12:30 p.m., 2:45 p.m. (1 hr., 33 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- ParaNorman 3D – 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 33 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 1:40 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Words – 12:35 p.m., 2:55 p.m. 5:15 p.m., 7:35 p.m., 10 p.m. (1 hr., 36 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Southeast wind around 8 mph."
- Friday night: "Patchy fog after midnight. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 60. South wind 3 to 7 mph."
- Saturday: "A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. South wind 7 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent
- Saturday night: "A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent."
- Sunday: "A slight chance of showers before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent."
- Sunday night: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 53."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 3:41 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:40 a.m.
- Low tide: 9:53 a.m.
- High tide: 4:04 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:51 p.m.
- Low tide: 10:39 p.m.
- High tide: 4:42 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:41 a.m.
- Low tide: 10:55 a.m.
- High tide: 5:08 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:49 p.m.
- Low tide: 11:43 p.m.
- High tide: 5:47 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:42 a.m.
- Low tide: 12:02 p.m.
- High tide: 6:14 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:48 p.m.