Today is Monday, Oct. 22, 2012. On this day in 1962, President John F. Kennedy announced that U.S. spy planes had discovered Soviet missile bases in Cuba.
Famous birthdays include Franz Liszt – 1811; Jeff Goldblum – 1952; Ichiro Suzuki – 1973; Chris Kattan – 1982.
- Breast Cancer in Young Women: Resources and Statistics in Fairfield
- Obama-Romney Presidential Debate: Live Chat
- Enter to Win Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest
- Fairfield Patch Election Guide 2012
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Grab Your Coffee - It's Time for the Big Read! 12 p.m., University of Bridgeport (244 University Avenue, Bridgeport), free. "Grab some coffee! Everyone’s invited to participate in this ’round-the-clock read-a-thon. Read as long as you want, listen, and have fun as members of the community take turns reading aloud from Ray Bradberry’s novel Fahrenheit 451."
- Over 40 Females Networking Event with Dr. Worthington: 5 p.m., Old Post Tavern, $25. "Join Dr. Worthington and his special guest Debi Koulogianis from Save Our Vets Inc.– helping Returning Vets and their families in Fairfield County as they create a special night that will leave you inspired towards success and feeling good by helping out."
- 'A Night on the Town': 6 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $15. "This event will mark the kickoff of the “Night on the Town” event series to promote inclusion, education and acceptance in our community. All ages are welcome to sing along and dance in the aisles at this autism appropriate and family friendly performance by Bone Dry."
- Solarize Connecticut/Fairfield Workshop: 6:30 p.m., Pequot Library, free. "From now until December 14th you can signup for Solarize Connecticut-Fairfield, a new program Fairfield is offering residents to help significantly lower their monthly electric bills. Solarize Connecticut-Fairfield is a unique solar program that has selected one highly qualified, certified installer through a competitive bidding process, in exchange for significant discounts. Fairfield’s Clean Energy Task Force, in conjunction with the Clean Energy Finance and Investment Authority (CEFIA) formerly the CT Clean Energy Fund, have selected AstrumSolar, a leader in solar installations."
- Tips on Surviving Financial Tragedies: 7 p.m., Fairfield Woods Branch Library, free. "Would you know what steps to take if you faced a financial tragedy? Joe Matthews will be sharing what he did after he lost his entire home to a fire on Easter weekend. He will be sharing his story and succinct tips on how to protect oneself in the event of a loss."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Alex Cross – 12:30 p.m., 2:55 p.m., 5:20 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Argo – 1:10 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m. 9:50 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 1:05 p.m., 3:20 p.m., 5:35 p.m., 7:50 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 12:35 p.m., 2:50 p.m., 5:05 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 7:20 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 12:40 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 9:40 p.m., (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – 4:20 p.m., 10 p.m. (1 hr. 42 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 12:50 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:25 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Seven Psychopaths – 1:30 p.m., 4:50 p.m., 7:35 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (1 hr. 49 min.) –IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 1:40 p.m., 7:25 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Representative Town Meeting: 8 p.m., Board of Education Conference Room (501 Kings Highway East, second floor) (agenda)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Saturday:
- Monday: "Sunny, with a high near 67. West wind 6 to 14 mph."
- Monday night: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 50."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 5:32 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:13 a.m.
- Low tide: 11:50 a.m.
- High tide: 5:58 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:01 p.m.