Today is Thursday, April 12, 2012. On this day in 1861, the Civil War began.
Famous birthdays include Herbie Hancock – 1940; David Letterman – 1947; Claire Danes – 1970; Brooklyn Decker – 1987.
- (blog post by )
- (blog post by )
- (blog post by )
- Selectmen Seek Candidates for Fairfield Warde High School Roof Building Committee (announcement)
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the .
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- : 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., . “During the entire month of April we will be collecting art supplies for the students in Sister Theresa's Pre-School class and, if we receive enough supplies, we will donate some supplies to one of the elementary inner-city schools in Bridgeport that can surely use art supplies for the children.”
- : All day, MedTeam Weight Loss, free. “We invite you to a free initial screening with one of our practitioners. You will be given a Body Composition Analysis which is a breakdown of your body weight, including fat, muscle and water percentages.”
- : 10:45 a.m., , free. “Free one-on-one career counseling is available at the Fairfield Public Library on Monday and Thursday each week. Twenty-minute appointments are available to review resumes, explore career change, and discuss interview and networking strategies. Career counselor Elizabeth Kaufman will be available on Mondays from 2-5 pm; career counselor Ann Wright will be available on Thursdays from 10:45 am until 2 pm.”
- · : 5 p.m., , $7. “Pasta, meatballs, bread, salad, dessert, & coffee.”
- : 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m., , free. “Karin will be signing copies of her new book Infinity & Dreams, with photographs inspired by the short stories of Jorge Luis Borges. Stop by to meet the artist and preview her work. Karin is ‘a painter, a photographer and above all a storyteller. Her pictures represent a new reality, maybe “surreality,” shaped by lifelong interest in philosophy, history, art, invention, music and science.’”
- : 7 p.m., , free. “Certified Professional Organizer and Certified Organizer, Sue West will be speaking. She will be sharing her book ‘Organized for a Fresh Start: Embrace Your Next Chapter in Life.’
- 7:30 p.m., , $35. “The event features the talented musical group ‘Mom’s the Word’, who will perform their hilarious and touching musical cabaret about the joys and ironies of raising kids. This event will raise funds for the Kate Reardon Memorial Scholarship Fund, established in memory of Kate Reardon, an 8th grader at Bedford Middle School in Westport who died suddenly this past September.”
- : 7:30 p.m., , free. “Sean Swarner, a two-time cancer survivor who has climbed Mt. Everest, will share his inspirational story as part of the CT Challenge speaker series. CT Challenge is a Fairfield-based organization that raises funds for cancer survivors.”
AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax – 5:20 p.m., 7:40 p.m. (1 hr. 35 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- The Hunger Games – 3:35 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 22 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- Jeff, Who Lives at Home – 5:10 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Mirror Mirror – 4:15 p.m., 4:45 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 46 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen – 3:50 p.m., 6:50 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Titanic 3D – 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 8 p.m. (3 hrs., 14 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- : 8 a.m., Old Town Hall (611 Old Post Road) conference room (agenda)
- Wellness Coalition: 10 a.m., Board of Education Conference Room (501 Kings Highway East, second floor) (agenda)
- Riverfield School Building Committee: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. tour of
- Penfield Reef Lighthouse Committee: 4:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road) second floor conference room (agenda)
- : 4:30 p.m., Old Town Hall second floor conference room (agenda)
- Senior Tax Relief: 7 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (agenda)
- : 7 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall first floor conference room (agenda)
FORECAST as of 12 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: “Scattered showers, mainly between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. North wind between 13 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.”
- Thursday night: “Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 38. North wind between 6 and 10 mph.”
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s “Traffic & Gas Prices” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 4:18 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:17 a.m.
- Low tide: 10:51 a.m.
- High tide: 4:58 p.m.
- Sunset: 7:30 p.m.
- Low tide: 11:13 p.m.