Today is Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012. On this day in 2000 -- after weeks of legal battles over recounting votes -- Al Gore conceded defeat in his bid for presidency against George W. Bush.
Famous birthdays include Dick Van Dyke – 1925; Steve Buscemi – 1957; Jamie Foxx – 1967; Taylor Swift – 1989.
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Holiday Book Sale: 9 a.m., Fairfield Public Library. "The Friends of the Fairfield Public Library will have their annual Holiday Book Sale on Saturday, December 1 through Friday, December 21 at the Main Library, 1080 Old Post Road. The sale will be held during regular Library hours. There will be a large selection of children’s and young adult books, as well as holiday books and adult fiction. There will also be some “special” books, such as collector and antiquarian books, available. All proceeds from the book sale, which is run by the Friends of the Fairfield Library, will benefit the Library."
- Chico's Shopping Fundraiser for Mikey's Way: 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., Chico's. "Shop at Chico's in Fairfield on Thurs, Dec 13 between 3-7 PM and Chico's will donate 10% of all proceeds to support Mikey's Way. Mikey used his own "Make-A-Wish" to start a Foundation to benefit hospitalized children. Come out and support this wonderful local organization and Mikey's legacy."
- Fairfield Tree of Light Ceremony: 6:30 p.m., First Church Congregational. "VNS of CT will host the 22nd Annual Tree of Light Ceremony in Fairfield on Thursday, December 13 at 6:30 pm at First Church Congregational, 148 Beach Road. Residents wishing to have a memorial light on the Fairfield tree or to have the names of departed family members read during the memorial roll can contact VNS at 203-366-3821 Ext 1111 or visit www.VNSCT.org. Tree of Light ceremonies are non-denominational and open to the public. Guests are invited to a reception following the memorial roll and tree lighting ceremony. Proceeds benefit the VNS Hospice at Home program for in-need families in Fairfield."
- Dr. Waks to Lecture on Prostate Cancer: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Dr. Waks will discuss BPH, prostate cancer and the role of PSA in differentiating inflammation from cancer. She will talk about new research in the area of prostate cancer and new diagnostic tools. “Prostate cancer is a condition that 95% of men will die with, but few will die from.” said Dr. Waks. The doctor will explain natural substances that help to reduce PSA and also treat nonspecific prostate inflammation."
- Blockhead: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $20. "Underground beat maestro Anthony Simon, better known as Blockhead, first lent his production hands in the mid-'90s to then up-and-coming MC Aesop Rock, who rose to indie rap prominence during the 2000s."
- "To Catch an Anti-Semite": 7:30 p.m., Chabad of Fairfield, $18. "Rabbi David Nesenoff, whose 2010 video of White House journalist Helen Thomas' controversial remarks about Jews in Palestine went viral and led to her resignation, will speak at Chabad of Fairfield on Thursday evening, Dec. 13."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Anna Karenina – 1:15 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 7:25 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 10 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Argo – 1:30 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:15 p.m. 10 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Flight – 12:50 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 19 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi – 12:40 p.m., 4 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi 3D – 12:10 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:45 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lincoln – 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Skyfall – 12:20 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 7 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2: 1:10 p.m., 3:50 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 56 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Economic Development Commission: 8 a.m., Old Town Hall (611 Old Post Road) conference room (agenda)
- Forestry Committee: 1 p.m., Fairfield Public Library Jennings Room (agenda)
- Historic District Commission: 4:30 p.m., Old Town Hall second floor conference room (agenda)
- Ethics Commission: 5 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road) (agenda)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: "Sunny, with a high near 44. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph."
- Thursday night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 33. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph after midnight."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 4:23 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:10 a.m.
- High tide: 10:34 a.m.
- Sunset: 4:24 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:06 p.m.
- High tide: 11:09 p.m.