Today is Thursday, Feb. 16, 2012. On this day in 1923, archaeologist Howard Carter opened the tomb of King Tut in Thebes, Egypt.
Famous birthdays include Sonny Bono – 1935; Kim Jong Il – 1942; Margaux Hemingway – 1954; Ice-T – 1958.
- Malloy: Liquor Laws Need (Partly) Free Market Fix
- Letter: Health & Human Services Ruling ‘Tramples’ Rights
- Overcoming Obstacles to Disciplining (blog post by Alice Katz)
- How Do I Know If My Child Has An Eating Disorder? (blog post from Silver Hill Hospital)
- Lost Dog Alert: Bring Ozzy Home (announcement)
- Bring Andy Home (announcement)
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Kate’s Cottage with Mike Bielewa: 12 p.m., Fairfield Museum and History Center, $8 ($5 for members). Filmmaker Mike Bielewa will talk about Katharine Hepburn’s storied stays in Stratford, where she performed at the Shakespeare Festival. Bring lunch; lemonade and dessert will be served.
- Author of “Happiness Through Meditation” To Speak at the Library: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library Rotary Room, free. Paul Epstein, author of the book “Happiness Through Meditation,” will discuss how to achieve happiness.
- Online Marketing Plan: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library Rotary Room, free. Web designer Amy DeLardi will talk about online marketing strategies.
- Whose Game Is It Anyway? 7 p.m., Fairfield Country Day School, free. Sports psychologist Dr. Richard Ginsburg will discuss creating a positive sports environment for children.
- Leonardo: Live in HD: 7 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $15, $10 for children and seniors. A close-up look at the National Gallery of London’s sold-out exhibit of “Leonardo da Vinci: Painter at the Court of Milan.” Run time: 105 minutes.
- Thursday Night Dance Party: 7:30 p.m. – 11 p.m., Ballroom DanceSport, $12. Enjoy salsa, swing, tango, and more! All levels welcome; no partner necessary.
- Fairfield American Little League is now open for registration for the spring.
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Albert Nobbs – 3:45 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (1 hr., 53 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- The Artist - 4:30 p.m., 7:20 p.m., (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- The Descendants – 3:50 p.m., 6:30 p.m. (1 hr., 55 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close – 4:20 p.m., 7:05 p.m. (2 hrs., 9 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Grey – 4:25 p.m., 7:25 p.m. (1 hr. 57 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Iron Lady – 4:50 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 45 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D – 5:10 p.m., 7:40 p.m. (1 hr. 34 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Vow – 5:25 p.m., 7:50 p.m. (1 hr. 44 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- The Woman in Black – 5:25 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr. 35 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes - Trailer
- Historic District Commission: 4:30 p.m., Old Town Hall (611 Old Post Road) second floor conference room
- Board of Selectmen/Board of Finance Joint Budget Meeting: 7 p.m., Board of Education Administrative Office (501 Kings Highway East, third floor)
- Conservation Commission: 7:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road) second floor conference room (agenda) The Thorpe Street applicationt to build 14 new buildings with 64 condominium units is on the agenda for tonight, not March 1, as was previously communicated.
FORECAST as of 6 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: “Rain likely, mainly after 4 p.m. Increasing clouds, with a high near 44. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.”
- Thursday night: “Periods of rain, mainly before 3 a.m. Low around 38. South wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.”
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s “Traffic & Gas Prices” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 6:03 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:47 a.m.
- Low tide: 12:40 a.m.
- Sunset: 5:27 p.m.
- High tide: 6:43 p.m.
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to the closest selection to Fairfield, Bridgeport Harbor).