Today is Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012. On this day in 1947, the United Nations voted for the partition of Palestine and the creation of an independent Jewish state.
Famous birthdays include Christian Doppler – 1803; Louisa May Alcott – 1832; C.S. Lewis – 1898; Mariano Rivera – 1969.
- Fairfield Christmas Tree Festival 2012 Opens to Public Friday
- Panera Bread Set to Open Today on Black Rock Turnpike
- Police Blotter
- Holiday Guide 2012
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Free Car Washes: All day, Russell Speeder's (620 Villa Avenue), free. "In the aftermath of our most recent storm Russell Speeders Care Wash, at 620 Villa Avenue, Fairfield, is offering Free Car Washes now through December 6th. Fairfield will be our 19th location and we look forward to being a good neighbor in our new home. It’s our small way of helping others when they need help. It’s our small way of saying welcome to our new community."
- Bestselling Children's Author Adam Gidwitz to Talk at the Library: 6:30 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "The Grimm Brother’s tales have been fascinating readers for 200 years. They fascinated author Adam Gidwitz so much that he decided to retell the tales with his own humorous, terrifying and sometimes grisly twists. Join us as Gidwitz tells his personal tale of becoming a writer."
- Using Social Media in Your Job Search: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Is your LinkedIn profile complete and presenting you in the best way possible? Do you know how to use a hash tag strategically? Can you read about a company’s culture from a social media source? Do you know what RT, DM, FF are all about? Do you speak tweet? Is Facebook providing the social media support that can help you with your career campaign? Learn winning strategies from Social Media Career Strategist Linda Van Valkenburgh that can help you use social media to your best advantage."
- Fairfield Youth Lacrosse Open House: 7 p.m., Fairfield Warde High School, free. " Fairfield Youth Lacrosse is a new non-profit youth lacrosse organization in Fairfield. It offers lacrosse instruction, programming and team play to boys and girls in grades 1 – 8. Will Mraz, a lacrosse legend as a player and coach throughout Fairfield, heads the program."
- : 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "The community outreach director from AARP Connecticut, Erica Michalowski, MSW, presents this AARP program. Health: Chances are you have a long life ahead of you. Women live an average of five years longer than men and two-thirds of Americans over 65 are women. A woman who is 65 today can expect to live for another 20 years. Home & Community: You deserve to live life the way you want, whether that means renovating your current home or finding a niche retirement community. This advice will help you stay as healthy as possible and includes tips to help you start planning now for future lifestyle choices."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Argo – 1:10 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:15 p.m. 10 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Flight – 12:50 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 7:20 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 19 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi – 12:40 p.m., 4 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi 3D – 12:10 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 9:40 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lincoln – 11:45 a.m., 3:10 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Sessions – 12:15 p.m., 2:50 p.m., 5:10 p.m., 7:50 p.m., 10:20 p.m. – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Skyfall – 12:15 p.m., 3:25 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (2 hrs., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2: 11:15 a.m., 1 p.m., 1:55 p.m., 3:50 p.m., 4:35 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (1 hr., 56 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Fairfield Woods Building Committee Special Meeting: 7 p.m., Fairfield Woods Middle School Media Center (agenda)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. Northwest wind 8 to 13 mph."
- Thursday night: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind 9 to 11 mph."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 5:12 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:57 a.m.
- High tide: 11:20 a.m.
- Sunset: 4:25 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:46 p.m.
- High tide: 11:52 p.m.