Today is Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012. On this day in 2002, former President Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Famous birthdays include Eleanor Roosevelt – 1884; Jerome Robbins – 1918; Joan Cusack – 1962; Emily Deschanel – 1976.
- Fairfield May Add Pre-K to Dwight School to Help McKinley
- Patch Live Blogs the Vice Presidential Debate
- Letter: 'Increased Property Taxes Are a Train Wreck'
- Mamas Say: Enough with 'Call of Duty!'
- Letter: Voters in 133rd District Have 'Easy Choice This Year'
- Fairfield Patch Election Guide 2012
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Second Vatican Council: 2 p.m., Sacred Heart University, free. " The Second Vatican Council in 1962 led to the founding of SHU by Bishop Walter W. Curtis as the first Catholic university in America led and staffed by lay people. SHU will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Vatican II and its close affiliation with that historical occasion with a series of events. Presentation of Honorary Degrees to Ladislas Orsy, Nicholas Lash, and Gregory Baum.
- Opening Reception - The Essential Line: 5 p.m. - 7 p.m., The Bellarmine Museum of Art, free. "This exhibition of works on loan from the Dahesh Museum of Art celebrates the act of drawing in the 19th century, when the creation of preliminary works on paper was the cornerstone of proper academic training and art-making."
- Tales from The Crypt - Hear How Entrepreneurs Come Back from the Brink: 5:30 p.m., University of Bridgeport Arnold Bernhard Center's Art Gallery (84 Iranistan Avenue, Bridgeport), free. "We would like to invite you to a free networking event at the University of Bridgeport to hear how entrepreneurs Manish Chodhary of Go-ECart and Neil Rosen, founder of E-Way Direct faced challenging times and turned near failure into huge success."
- Six60: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $15. "Blending soul, rock, dubstep and drum and bass, Six60's music is as dynamic, versatile and unexpected as their back story."
- The Power of E-Mail Marketing: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Learn how to reach the people that matter most to your business with professional e-mail communications that not only look great, but also provide valuable metrics for targeted marketing and communication. Lynn Moore, a Constant Contact® Authorized Local Expert, will discuss the basics of e-mail marketing. "
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Finding Nemo 3D – 1:05 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 1 p.m., 3:15 p.m. 5:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 12:30 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 1:35 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 12:40 p.m., 1:10 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Oranges – 12:50 p.m., 3 p.m., 5:10 p.m., 7:40 p.m. (1 hr., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 1:20 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 7 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 1:40 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Economic Development Commission: 8 a.m., Old Town Hall (611 Old Post Road) (agenda)
- Forestry Commission: 1 p.m., Fairfield Public Library
- Penfield Reef Lighthouse Committee: 4:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road)
- Historic District Commission: 4:30 p.m., Old Town Hall second floor conference room (agenda)
- Fire Commission: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library (agenda)
- Fairfield for Good Government: 7 p.m., Scandinavian Club. Those who would like to attend must make a reservation via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-255-3960.
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: "Sunny, with a high near 61. Northwest wind 11 to 14 mph."
- Thursday night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Southwest wind around 10 mph."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 2:09 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:01 a.m.
- High tide: 8:19 a.m.
- Low tide: 2:33 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:18 p.m.
- High tide: 8:40 p.m.