Today is Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012. On this day in 1867, the United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the land from Russia for $7.2 million.
Famous birthdays include Lee Harvey Oswald – 1939; Mike Ditka – 1939; Ne Yo – 1979; Zac Efron – 1987.
- Echoes of September 11 Attacks in Libya
- Letter: 'Chris Murphy is the Only Choice for Connecticut'
- Kids Not Reading Enough? Patch Has Tips from Author James Patterson
- Enter to Win Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest
- Fairfield Patch Election Guide 2012
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Domestic Violence Awareness Breakfast: 8 a.m., Fairfield Senior Center, free. Join the Center for Women & Families of Eastern Fairfield County for" a community breakfast and roundtable discussion to learn, inform, and collaborate on the impact of domestic and sexual violence in our communities and what you can do to help!"
- Chico's Fairfield Fundraiser for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer: 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., Chico's. "On Thursday, Oct. 18, from 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., Chico's will donate 10% of all sales proceeds to Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. We are supporting their walk event, which takes place on Sun Oct 21. Come out during Fairfield's Restaurant Week and shop to support a great cause. Refreshments are being provided by Starbuck's @ Fairfield Univ. Bookstore."
- Free Social Media Training for Small Businesses: 6 p.m., Town of Westport Library, free. "Westport, Fairfield, Norwalk, Weston and Wilton Patches are pleased to announce the launch of a free, two-hour event designed to teach business owners how to improve their connection to customers online."
- Talking About Books - "The Iliad" with Dr. Mark Schenker: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. " Dr. Schenker is an Associate Dean at Yale College and Dean of Academic Affairs, and a part-time lecturer in the English Department. He has led book discussions at the Fairfield Public Library for over a decade, and has given numerous lectures on writers and their works." Dr. Schenker will discuss books 7 - 12 of "The Iliad" tonight.
- Lecture on Beautiful Skin after 35: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "In this lecture you will learn nutritional aspects of healthy skin including nutrients to reduce wrinkles and eliminate blemishes."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Argo – 4 p.m., 7 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 5:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 3:40 p.m., 6:40 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – 4:20 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (1 hr. 42 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 4:15 p.m., 6:50 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Seven Psychopaths – 4:50 p.m., 7:35 p.m. (1 hr. 49 min.) –IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Conservation Commission: 7:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road) second floor conference room (agenda)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph."
- Thursday night: "Showers likely after 2 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Southeast wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 1:35 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:08 a.m.
- Low tide: 7:43 a.m.
- High tide: 1:53 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:07 p.m.
- Low tide: 8:25 p.m.