Today is Tuesday, Dec. 4 2012. On this day in 1991, American journalist Terry Anderson was released after 2,454 days in captivity in Lebanon.
Famous birthdays include Jeff Bridges – 1949; Marisa Tomei – 1964; Jay-Z – 1969; Tyra Banks – 1973.
- Hurricane Sandy Disaster Assistance Now at Halfway Point
- Police Blotter
- Holiday Guide 2012
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Holiday Book Sale: 9 a.m., Fairfield Public Library. "The Friends of the Fairfield Public Library will have their annual Holiday Book Sale on Saturday, December 1 through Friday, December 21 at the Main Library, 1080 Old Post Road. The sale will be held during regular Library hours. There will be a large selection of children’s and young adult books, as well as holiday books and adult fiction. There will also be some “special” books, such as collector and antiquarian books, available. All proceeds from the book sale, which is run by the Friends of the Fairfield Library, will benefit the Library."
- Downton Abbey Tea: 1:30 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Ringing up all Downton Abbey fans! Join us for a Midday Tea to celebrate and anticipate the start of season three in America. Watch a clip of the making of Downton Abbey after which tea and such will be served. Feel free to dress in the style of the show, as one of your favorite characters, or just as yourself."
- Celebrate the Holidays with Fairfield Green Drinks! 5:30 p.m., the Shack Hometown Grill, no charge to attend. "Join us at The Shack Hometown Grill for Fairfield Green Drinks Holiday Celebration and eco-shopping. Socialize, network and connect with others who care about sustainability, in a friendly setting. As is our holiday tradition, please help us support Operation Hope and join us in stocking their shelves. Please check their list of needed items and bring what you can to Green Drinks to support this effort."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Anna Karenina – 1:15 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 7:25 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 10 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Argo – 1:30 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:15 p.m. 10 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Flight – 12:50 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 19 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi – 12:40 p.m., 4 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi 3D – 12:10 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:45 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lincoln – 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Skyfall – 12:20 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 7 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2: 1:40 p.m., 4:25 p.m., 7:05 p.m., 10:20 p.m. (1 hr., 56 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Employees Retirement Board: 4:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road) second floor conference room (agenda)
- Board of Finance: 7:15 p.m., Board of Education Conference Room (501 Kings Highway East, second floor) (agenda)
- Riverfield School Building Committee: 7:30 p.m., Riverfield School Library (agenda)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Monday:
- Tuesday: "Patchy fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 57. Southeast wind 5 to 8 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon."
- Tuesday night: "A chance of showers, mainly after 3 a.m. Increasing clouds, with a low around 47. Southwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 2:35 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:02 a.m.
- Low tide: 8:42 a.m.
- High tide: 2:45 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:24 p.m.
- Low tide: 9:11 p.m.