Today is Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012. On this day in 1985, Hollywood icon Rock Hudson died of AIDS-related complications at the age of 59.
Famous birthdays include Mahatma Ghandi – 1869; Groucho Marx – 1890; Sting – 1951; Kelly Ripa – 1970.
- Black Rock Congregational Church to Kick Off Construction Oct. 8
- Akita Japanese Restaurant Opens on Kings Highway East
- Think Pink: Breast Cancer Awareness Events in Fairfield County
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Reinvent Your Financial Future - Long-term Care Planning: 12 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Even if you have put money aside for your retirement, through a 401(k), for example, these assets are vulnerable should you need long term care. Just one year in a Connecticut nursing home can cost more than $127,000. Medicare and health insurance may only cover a fraction of these costs. Learn how to protect your assets."
- Glenn and Grant - Lee Phillips: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $28. "Two songwriters of enormous heart and spirit present solo sets on StageOne - a chance to savor songs old and new, novel approaches, and the love of spontaneity shared by these two artists in an intimate setting." (Pictured)
- Lecture on Iraq: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "On October 3, 2012, Iraq as we know it is going to be 80 years old. This lecture will discuss the formation of modern Iraq as a product of British and French colonial aspirations in the Near East."
- Cheese School: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m., Fairfield Cheese Company, $45. "If you can’t make it to Germany’s annual Oktoberfest this year, why not join us for the next best thing? This class is a festive tribute to German food and beer culture."
- Family Poster Making Party with Mary Himes: 7:30 p.m., Democratic Headquarters (1508 Post Road), free. "Fun for the whole family! Join Congressman Jim Himes' wife, Mary and help create posters that will be used at future campaign events."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Finding Nemo 3D – 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hope Springs – 4 p.m., 6:50 p.m. (2 hrs., 1 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 5:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 3:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green – 7:40 p.m. (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Retirement Board - Employees' Quarterly Meeting: 4:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road)
- Riverfield School Building Committee: 7:30 p.m., Riverfield Elementary School Library or All-Purpose Room (agenda)
- Board of Finance: 7:30 p.m., Board of Education Conference Room (501 Kings Highway East second floor) (agenda)
FORECAST as of 5 p.m. on Monday:
- Tuesday: "Light rain likely, mainly after 4 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."
- Tuesday night: "Rain or drizzle likely before 4 a.m., then a chance of drizzle. Patchy fog after midnight. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 63. East wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 1:01 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:51 a.m.
- Low tide: 7:04 a.m.
- High tide: 1:12 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:32 p.m.
- Low tide: 7:37 p.m.