Today is Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012. On this day in 1989, the deadliest earthquake to hit the San Francisco area since 1906 struck at 5:04 p.m., lasted 15 seconds, measured 71 on the Richter scale, and killed 63 people.
Famous birthdays include Arthur Miller – 1915; Rita Hayworth – 1918; George Wendt – 1948; Eminem – 1972.
- Help a Fairfield Woman in Need at Thursday's 'Jar in a Bar'
- Fairfield RTC Chairman Demands Retraction From Fawcett
- Enter to Win Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest
- Fairfield Patch Election Guide 2012
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Fairfield Health Department Flu Clinic: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Fairfield Senior Center, free (with unsurance). "No appointment necessary- walk in. Please wear short sleeves or sleeves that can be rolled up easily. Insurance accepted for the seasonal flu immunization include Medicare Part B; Anthem Blue Cross/BlueShield; Connecticare; and Aetna. Please bring your insurance card with you. Without insurance, the cost of the flu vaccine is $25.00. Pneumonia vaccine, which will also be offered, is available for $45 without the above listed insurance. The consent forms for the clinic will be available at the Clinic and are also posted on the Health Department website.
- Wordpress Class: 12 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "This is a quick overview perfect for your lunch hour where you will learn the basics of Wordpress. It is a free, easy tool you can use to write your own blog, or use to create your own website."
- Democratic Town Committee Rally and Open House: 6:30 p.m., 1508 Post Road (Democrat Headquarters), free. "Meet your Democratic candidates and elected officials."
- Reinvent Your Financial Future - Choosing a Financial Planner: 7 p.m., Fairfield Woods Branch Library, free. "Learn important tips on how to select a planner with a representative from the Connecticut Department of Banking, Securities and Business Investments Division. Find out how to check a planner’s licensing status and disciplinary history and how to protect yourself from investment scams and frauds."
- Jon McLaughlin: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $22. "Jon McLaughlin's new album, Promising Promises reflects Jon’s confidence and maturity as a songwriter."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Argo – 4 p.m., 7 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 5:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 3:40 p.m., 6:40 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – 4:20 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (1 hr. 42 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Pitch Perfect – 4:15 p.m., 6:50 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Seven Psychopaths – 4:50 p.m., 7:35 p.m. (1 hr. 49 min.) –IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Safety Plan Advisory Committee: 5 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (725 Old Post Road)
- Affordable Housing Committee: 7 p.m., Old Town Hall (611 Old Post Road) (agenda)
- Fairfield Warde High School Roof Building Committee: 7:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall second floor conference room (agenda)
- RTM Joint Meeting for Education and Recreation, Health and Safety Subcommittees: 7:30 p.m., Board of Education Conference Room (501 Kings Highway East, second floor)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Tuesday:
- Wednesday: "Sunny, with a high near 63. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon."
- Wednesday night: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. South wind 3 to 6 mph."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 12:44 a.m.
- Low tide: 6:52 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:07 a.m.
- High tide: 1:01 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:08 p.m.
- Low tide: 7:31 p.m.