One resident was hospitalized after an early Sunday morning fire on School Street, according to the Fairfield Fire Department.
When firefighters arrived at the scene of the fire around 4:45 a.m. Sunday, they found the occupants -- a family of four and the family's dog -- outside of the residence. A 19-year-old male suffered non-life threatening burns on his hands and face from exposure and was transported to Bridgeport Hospital for treatment.
Members from Engine 2 and Ladder 2 entered the home and quickly extinguished the blaze, which was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, according a statement from the department.
“The Fairfield Fire
Department wants to remind everyone about the importance of installing and
maintaining working smoke detectors on all levels of the home, especially in
the sleeping areas,” Assistant Chief Scott Bisson said.