.

Fairfield Firefighters Put Out Old Stratfield Road Blaze

The small fire was caused by a discarded cigarette, fire officials said.

responded Tuesday evening to reports of a structure fire on Old Stratfield Road that appeared to be caused by a discarded cigarette, according to a statement released by Assistant Chief Stephen Curry.

Fire personnel were on scene for about 45 minutes to extinguish the fire and investigate the cause. It originated from planter on the deck of the home. A portion of the deck, some vinyl siding, and shrubbery were burned by the fire, which resulted in approximately $6,000 in damage, according to the release.

The occupant of the home at the time of the fire was the homeowner’s sister, who was acting as caretaker while the resident was away, according to Curry. She told firefighters that she discarded a cigarette in the planter and was alerted to the start of the blaze when she saw smoke arise from that area of the deck.

The fire was determined to be accidental and no injuries were reported.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something