The largest celebration of sports in Fairfield County is set for Monday, Oct.15 as the 8th annual Sports Night gala takes place at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich at 6 pm. The event, presented by the Fairfield County Sports Commission, spotlights the rich history and future of sports in our area.
Designed to unite the Fairfield County sports community, the annual fundraising dinner honors athletes and significant sports figures at all levels. This high profile event recognizes a “Sportsperson of the Year” in each of the 15 communities the Commission serves, as well as staging the induction ceremonies for the 6 newest members of the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame.
Funds raised by the Commission, which is a 501c3 non-profit organization, are committed to developing, implementing and supporting community programs designed to promote and educate children on fitness awareness and leading an active, healthy lifestyle.
These initiatives, under the umbrella of the Sports Commission’s recently created Chelsea Cohen Fitness Academy, are targeted to increase physical activity for youngsters in the communities the Commission oversees.
While supporting a good cause, join the area’s biggest gathering of sports celebrities and personalities for an evening filled with fun and nostalgia.
Silent and live auctions, featuring great sports memorabilia, are also highlights of this special night.
The six new inductees joining the Hall this year are:
- Jackie Robinson Professional Wing- Wes Matthews, Sue Merz
- James O’Rourke Amateur Wing – Ed Finnegan, Harold Jensen
- J. Walter Kennedy Community Service Wing – Jim Penders Sr., Dave Strong
Sports Persons of the Year are:
- BRIDGEPORT- James Campbell, Stony Brook pitcher, Major League Baseball draftee
- DARIEN- Rob Crane, U.S. Olympic sailing team member
- EASTON- John Distler, Joel Barlow High lacrosse coach. Class S state coach of year
- FAIRFIELD- Craig Kinsley, U.S. Olympic track team member-javelin
- GREENWICH- Greenwich High Boys’ and Girls’ golf teams, both FCIAC champions
- MONROE- Casey Cochran, Masuk High quarterback, Gatorade state player of year
- NEW CANAAN- Charlie Cole, U.S. Olympic rowing team, bronze medal winner
- NORWALK- Bryan Daniello, McMahon High baseball standout, Gatorade state player of year
- SHELTON- Shelton High Boys’ Baseball Team, Class LL state champions
- STAMFORD- Dan Madwed, University of Michigan All-American swimmer
- STRATFORD- Zach Zurita, Bunnell High soccer standout, Gatorade state player of year
- TRUMBULL- Evan Centopani, Nationally-recognized professional bodybuilder
- WESTON- Sibyl Ledwick, Weston High Boosters Club, girls’ youth lacrosse leader
- WESTPORT- Staples High boys’ indoor/outdoor track teams, FCIAC and state champions
- WILTON- Chelsea LeVander, Wilton High gymnast, FCIAC all-round champion
Tickets for the event are $125 and tables of 10 are $1,250.
The Fairfield County Sports Commission is an all-volunteer group except for its executive director, and provides a one-stop resource for the sports community. For more information contact Tom Chiappetta at 203-251-8481 or via email at email@example.com.